Peru is a country that has a lot to offer to adventure seekers and hiking enthusiasts. Two of the most popular trekking routes in the country are the Inca Trail and the Lares Trek. Both treks are unique in their own way and offer hikers different experiences. In this blog, we will compare the Inca Trail vs Lares Trek to help you decide which trek is right for you.
The Inca Trail is the most famous trek in Peru, and it’s no wonder why. It offers stunning views of the Andean mountains, the opportunity to visit several ancient Incan ruins, and culminates with the iconic Machu Picchu. The Inca Trail is a 4-day trek that covers 26 miles (43 kilometers) and reaches a maximum altitude of 13,780 feet (4,200 meters) at the Dead Woman’s Pass.
The Inca Trail is a popular trek, and permits are limited. It’s essential to book your trek well in advance, especially during the high season from May to September. You are required to trek with a licensed tour operator, and a guide will accompany you on the trail.
The Lares Trek is a less famous but equally beautiful trek in Peru. It takes you through stunning Andean landscapes, remote villages, and offers the opportunity to see traditional Andean culture. The Lares Trek is a 4-day trek that covers 22 miles (35 kilometers) and reaches a maximum altitude of 15,092 feet (4,600 meters) at the Pachacutec Pass.
The Lares Trek is less popular than the Inca Trail, and permits are not required. You can choose to trek with a licensed tour operator or independently. Trekking with a tour operator offers the benefit of an experienced guide and a support team that will set up your camp and prepare your meals.
Inca Trail vs Lares Trek
The Inca Trail and Lares Trek are both beautiful treks that offer hikers a unique experience. Here are some of the differences between the two treks:
- Scenery: The Inca Trail offers stunning views of ancient ruins, cloud forests, and Andean mountains. The Lares Trek takes you through remote Andean villages and stunning landscapes.
- Difficulty: Both treks are challenging, but the Inca Trail is more difficult due to the higher altitude and steeper ascents and descents.
- Permits: Permits are required for the Inca Trail and limited. The Lares Trek does not require permits.
- Crowds: The Inca Trail is a popular trek, and crowds can be present. The Lares Trek is less popular, and you’re likely to encounter fewer people on the trail.
- Cultural experience: The Lares Trek offers the opportunity to see traditional Andean culture and interact with local communities. The Inca Trail also offers a cultural experience with the chance to visit ancient Incan ruins.
Both the Inca Trail and Lares Trek offer unique experiences and beautiful landscapes. The Inca Trail is more challenging and requires permits, while the Lares Trek is less popular and offers a cultural experience. Ultimately, the trek you choose will depend on your preferences, time, and physical abilities. Whichever trek you choose, be sure to pack the right gear, stay hydrated, and take care of yourself to ensure a safe and enjoyable trek.