Vilcabamba TrekMachu Picchu Tours
Overview on the 6 Day Vilcabamba Trek to Machu Picchu
Vilcabamba is amazing trek, where the path takes you directly to the last capital of the Incas, therefore combines with visit of another important Inca city Machu Picchu The wonder of the world. This spectacular trek is for adventurers that love to explore the majestic Andes mountains without crowds, especially enjoying the organic food along the trek. Hiking with Happy Gringo Tours you are going with the best local tour operator, check out our reviews on TripAdvisor!
- Trip Type: Hiking, adventure, history, culture and organic food.
- Good For: Moderate physical fitness.
- Difficulty: Difficult.
- Starting Altitude: 2911 m – 9550 ft.
- Highest Altitude: 3915 m – 12,844 ft.
- Hiking Distance: 72 km – 46 miles.
- Accommodation: 4 nights in tents and 1 night in Aguas Calientes
Coldest Night: Day 2 around 0º Celsius and day 4 around 0º celsius
Recommendation: We recommend you arrive in Cusco 48 hours before your trek departure in order to acclimate at high elevation
Day 1 Cusco – Santa Maria – Huancacalle
We leave Cusco at 9:00 am on the way to Ollantaytambo, where we stop for lunch. After lunch we drive 2 hours to Pantiacolla pass, on the way we get to see amazing views, pass through different microclimates and Inca ruins before to get Santa Maria village. From this town we have an hour to arrive the first campsite Huancacalle Quechua village, basically today everything is by bus (No hiking on day 1)
Day 2 Huancacalle – Vilcabamba site – Llaulliyoc
After an organic breakfast, the hike begins with amazing views on the way we get to see farming lands, coffee plantations, wildlife such as hummingbirds and the most important Inca site of the trek Vilcabamba, the last capital of the Incas. After the walking tour in the ruins, we have an hour of hike to arrive to the campsite LlaulliyocDay 3 Llaulliyoc – Asutiyoc – Rakachaca
Waking up early we will have the breakfast in order to start the real trail heading gradually up on ancient Inca road. Along the walk you get to see spectacular landscapes, glacier mountains as Pomata. Then comes the lunch after 4 hours of hiking and after lunch we have 2 hours of downhill left to reach our campsite Rakachaca close to a small Quechua village
Day 4 Rakachaca – Pumaccasa – Mutuypata
After breakfast we will visit a traditional family house to know the lifestyle of the andean community, today we have uphill hike which take us over three passes approx 4 hours to the lunch place. On the way we will see amazing views, lakes, Condors and we will be able to appreciate the Machu Picchu mountain in front of us. After lunch we have nearly five hours to arrive the next camping place Mutuypata in the middle of the high jungle.
Day 5 Mutuypata – Santa Teresa – Aguas Calientes
The easiest day of the trek, after breakfast we hike the whole morning gradually all the way down by the middle of the high jungle to arrive the lunch spot, which is in Santa Teresa the famous hot springs Cocalmayo, where you enjoy the relaxing hot springs. After hot spring and lunch we will take bus to hydroelectric to take the train to Aguas Calientes in order to spend the last night in a hotel before to visit Machu Picchu.Day 6 Machu Picchu – Cusco
The most important of the hike, we’ll take the first bus back up to Machu Picchu the lost citadel of the Incas. We have 2 hour guided tour of the city, during this walking tour we will visit the most important temples of Machu Picchu. After the tour you will have free time to explore by your own. Then you have to take bus to Aguas Calientes town in order to take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you carry on by bus to Cusco
Price for the 6 Day Vilcabamba Trek – Private Service
Minimum of participants 02 personsUS$1055 per person
Student Discount: US$30 (Require ISIC Card to qualify)Under 18’s Discount: US$30
Optional extra camping equipments:
- Sleeping Bag US$35
- Walking Pole US$15
- Inflatable Mattress US$30
- Single Tent Supplement US$35
- Mule to carry extra 8kg of personal items US$85
Inclusions on the 6 Day Vilcabamba Trek to Machu Picchu
- Professional English speaking tour guide
- Assistant tour guide for groups of 9 to 18
- Professional chef
- Horses to carry all camping equipments and 8 kgs of your personal items
- Pick up from your hotel
- Private bus to Huancacalle Quechua village
- Train from Aguas Calientes town to Ollantaytambo
- Return transportation by train to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco
- Drinkable water bring your own water for the first morning
- 5 breakfast, 5 lunches, 5 afternoon snacks, 5 dinners (If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian, vegan, etc please let us know at the moment of booking)
- Dining tent with chairs and table
- 4 men tent for only 2 hikers
- *** star hotel in Aguas Calientes on night 5
- Foam sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle tank
- First aid-kit
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu citadel
- Entrance fee for Machu Picchu
|Name of Tour||Was||Save||Now||Book Before||--|