Overview on the 5 Day Salkantay Trek Group Service
Salkantay trek is the number one alternative hike to the Classic Inca trail, with
- Trip Type: Hiking, adventure, history, culture and organic food.
- Good For: Moderate physical fitness.
- Overall Difficulty: Difficult
- Starting Altitude: 2900m – 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude: 4650 m – 15,200ft
- Hiking Distance: 61 km – 38 miles
- Accommodation: 3 nights in tents and 1 night hotel (Machu Picchu Pueblo)
- Coldest Night: Day 1 around 0º celsius
Recommendation: We recommend you to arrive in Cusco 48 hours before your trek departure in order to acclimate at high elevation.
Itinerary on the 5 Day Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
Day 1 Cusco – Challa Cancha – Soraypampa
Start hiking at Challa Cancha ollowing a wide path, we will gently make our way up the side of the valley covering a distance of about 16 km / 9.9 miles.
The landscapes throughout the day is amazing, along the walk you get to see a wide variety of native plants, birds and towards the end of the day, we will see the snow-capped peaks of Humantay and Salkantay (The Savage) looming high above us. The base campsite for tonight is at Soraypampa (4000 m / 12750 ft.), the night can get pretty chilly, it’s the coldest night.
Day 2 Soraypampa – Huayracmachay – Collpapampa
The longest, highest and hardest day of the trek. Therefore, the most beautiful day, the sceneries throughout the day goes from one extreme to another; starting from the high Puna covered in Andean grass, then we hike up and over Salkantay pass, where everything is rocky, after descending the far side to the warm and lush cloud forest below, along the walk you see a variety of wildlife.
Campsite for tonight is at Collpapampa (2900 m / 9514 ft), it is recommended you to put on mosquitos repellant from this point on as the insects in the area have a nasty bite.
Day 3 Collpapampa – La Playa (Sahuayaco).
After breakfast, you will have the shortest day of the hike to the village La Playa 12 km down the valley from Collpapampa campsite. The trail takes you along the Lluskamayo River through an area that is teeming with green life and has various coffee plants and native fruit plantations.
The campsite of tonight will be at the village of La Playa (2400m / 7874 ft.) that is populated, in this village you can try some of the locally grown coffee. If you are interested, you have the chance to go the hot springs that is close by, let your guide know in advance so that can organise this for you or you just stay at the village of La Playa for free afternoon.
Day 4 La Playa – Hidroeléctrica – Machu Picchu Pueblo
Early wake up for breakfast, today is the final stretch of the hike before we reach Aguas Calientes town which is at the base of Machu Picchu Citadel. The main goal of today is a visit to the Inca site of Llactapata. Following an original Inca Trail to Llactapata by early to mid morning and can enjoy the fantastic views of Machu Picchu that we enjoy from here.
After the tour of Llactapata, we will head back down the mountainside to the Hydroelectric Station, where we’ll have the last lunch and where you say thanks your team showing your gratitude. Then we’ll continue hiking to Machu Picchu Pueblo or (Optional to catch the train to the town), where we spend the night in a Hotel.
Day 5 Machu Picchu Citadel – Cusco
After breakfast in the Hotel and then catch the first bus back up to Machu Picchu citadel to visit the site, in order to explore the amazing city as the sun rises. We’ll have a 2 hours guided tour of the site, where you’ll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour you’ll have free time to explore the site by yourself. In the afternoon you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you will carry on by bus back to Cusco
Price on the 5 Day Salkantay Trekking to Machu Picchu
Group Service Price:
Minimum of participants 02 personsUS$612.00 per person
Student Discount: US$30 (Requires Card to qualify)Under 18’s Discount: US$30Private Service Prices
Minimum of participants 02 persons
Private Service US$810.00 per person
- Student Discount: US$30 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
- Under 18’s Discount: US$30
- Optional Extras:
- Sleeping Bag US$30
- Walking Pole US$13
- Inflatable Mattress US$25
- Single Tent Supplement US$35
- Extra 8kg of personal items US$85
- Huayna Picchu permit US$25
- Machu Picchu Mountain permit US$25
Inclusions on the 5 Day Salkantay Trek
- Professional English speaking tour guide
- Assistant tour guide for groups of 9 to 18
- Professional chef
- Pre-trek talk the night before your hike
- Mules to carry all camping equipments and 8kgs of your personal items
- Pick up from your hotel/hostel
- Private bus to Mollepata, then to the starting point of the hike
- Train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo town
- Return transportation by train to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco
- Drinkable water bring your own water for the first morning
- 4 breakfast, 4 lunches, 4 afternoon snacks, 4 dinners (If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian, vegan, etc please let us know at the moment of booking time)
- Dining tent with chairs and table
- 4 men tent for only 2 trekkers
- *** Star hotel in Aguas Calientes on night 4
- Foam sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle tank
- First aid-kit
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu citadel
- Extra emergency horse just in case the health of our clients is first
Exlcusion On the 5-Day Salkantay Peru Trekking
- Sleeping bag
- The first breakfast on day 1, lunch and dinner on day 5 (You can have in Aguas Calientes town)
- Tips for guide, cook and porters
- Travel and health insurance (You are highly recommended to take out travel/health insurance for the duration of your trip)
|Name of Tour||Was||Save||Now||Book Before||--|
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu (5 Days)